Monday, November 3, 2008

Season 5 Episode 1 Recap

Thank God Grey's is back! I'll start of this entry with a quote from Erin, who shared my fear of something happening to Derek.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fairytales don't come true," Meredith uttered as she stood in the very same spot we last saw her in Season 4, in the midst of her house of candles. Suddenly, we were reminded of all the things we feared might happen when Derek left her that night to end things with Rose. Could things already be coming to a crashing halt? If you only caught the first few minutes of this episode, you might have thought the fairytale ended with a fatal car crash involving Derek. Thankfully, that scene wasn't real as we learned that Meredith was being plagued by those haunting images in a recurring dream. But creator Shonda Rhimes wasn't done playing with us yet. Rose later surfaced to deliver the news that she was carrying Derek's baby! Again, another ruse, but I have to admit I enjoyed the way the writer's turned the tables on us and acknowledged the obvious obstacles they could have thrown at Meredith and Derek, yet they did not. - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" episode recap September 26, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I knew there was no way Rimes would kill off Derek, it was still painful to watch Meredith's dream played out on scream. Her shouting "NO!" and sobbing as she watched the Chief and her co-workers and friends try to save Derek was heartbreaking. I was still a little uneasy after Meredith woke up and realized she was just having a nightmare. Unlike Erin, I disliked the "ruse" of Rose telling Derek was she pregnant. I found it tasteless and unnecessary, especially since Derek told his best friend, Dr. Mark Sloan, a.k.a McSteamy that he and Rose had yet to sleep together a few episodes before that! Like every episode, the medical case somehow connected with one of the interns and finally, we got to see a potential love interest for Dr. Cristina Yang, Meredith's best friend.

Hot Scottish Army doctor Owen Hunt is just the kind of man she needs to get over being left at the alter by Dr. Preston Burke in season three and man, was there chemistry! I shared Erin's enthusiam, but I think a cocky, confident doctor from a different surgical background than her own is perfect for her, commanding personality or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was also great to see Journeyman's Kevin McKidd show up and rock her world with his medical brilliance and his confident (dare we say, cocky?) ways. These two appear to be a match-made in heaven, yet I wonder if their equally commanding personalities will ultimately cause them to clash and fizzle. At any rate I'm enjoying their chemistry now. - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" episode recap September 26, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I thought the episode was a good season opener and the rest of the Tv Guide recap touched on the last two situations that bothered me about the episode. The first: Lexie Grey and George O'Malley.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How sweet was she when she quietly mouthed the words, "I adore you, by the way," as George left the locker room? It was also fun to watch Mark give her a hard time when he realized Lexie was lusting after George. Though I found myself thinking Lexie and Mark might make a more interesting couple. - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" episode recap September 26, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand the Lexie/George relationship Rimes is trying to push. Maybe it's because she's Meredith's half-sister and the whole thing reminds me of the one-sided Meredith/George relationship that awkwardly bloomed and crashed after a one-night stand in season two. I don't see the chemistry between Lexie and George and I feel like the awkward friendship situation they're in now is as far as it should go until Lexie wakes up and realizes George isn't into her, just like George had to realize Meredith was in love with Derek. Sloan and Lexie would make a more appealing couple, at least as far as plots go, and their scenes would be hilarious since Sloan often provides the comic relief needed on the show. The second situation: Alex Karev and Isabel Stevens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for Alex, he continues to be a puzzle. He started off being a "good man," but reverted to the jerk version of himself by the end of this episode and all because he was miffed that Izzie let it be known that he cried. Come on Alex, I really want you and Izzie to kiss and make up (for good). -Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" episode recap September 26, 2008 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The bottom line in this plot is that Alex needs to grow up and stop being such an idiot. These two, like all of the characters and their counterparts, have had a rocky relationship. Izzie clearly still loves him and he refuses to let her in. When did he and Meredith switch roles? I agree with Erin that the two of them need to either decide to be together or let it go. Then again, it wouldn't be Grey's Anatomy if not for the dragged out love stories.

Ah Grey's. I'm so glad the show's back! On to episode two.

No comments: