I think Izzie’s officially gone off the deep end. Ghost Denny returned in this episode and broke my heart again, but Erin summed things up nicely in her blog for this week.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Izzie takes the advice of another heart transplant patient (August Schellenberg) on how to be rid of her ghost once and for all - burn any possessions that the spirit can cling to. Before Izzie can get the fire roasting though, Alex catches her talking to herself as she leaves the hospital. At home he confronts her for about the third time that day and short of begging, asks her what he can do to help her deal with whatever it is she's going through. While I'm really enjoying this softer side of Alex, at the same time, I'm completely confused as to where this storyline is heading. Denny couldn't possibly be real, right? So, how is it that Izzie was able to touch him and more importantly, kiss him? The one thing that stands out in my mind is how Denny kept telling Izzie that he was there for her. Was I the only one envisioning Denny as the Grim Reaper (albeit a very hot one), descending on the scene to claim a terminally ill Izzie? - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "These Ties That Bind" episode recap November 14, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too was waiting for this new, amazing Alex or Mer to walk in and find Izzie passed out on the floor or something from a brain hemorrhage. I for sure thought Denny’s repetition of “I’m here for you” meant that her time was gonna be up soon. This wouldn’t be the first time someone a person loved has come back to ease their transition into the afterlife on a show. It’s been long rumored that Izzie was going to end up with a brain tumor, but Shonda Rimes herself has dismissed those claims several times. It’s not like that route would be unlikely one for a character on this show. I could envision that episode, with Derek speaking to Izzie about her options and his refusal to operate on her much like he did when Burke needed an operation.
I do still think Katherine Heigl will be the next major character to leave the show. If her film career continue to take off the way it has, she may not have much time for Grey’s, especially if the writers continue to give her such crappy material to work with.Listening to Izzie tell Ghost Denny how much she wanted to be his wife and have his kids was painful. As interesting of a couple Alex and Izzie make, nothing will ever replace what she had with Denny. I thought this conversation showed that. Despite her feelings for Alex, Izzie will ever forget Denny and she will always love him. She has to move on though. We saw the kind of person she was, the kind of doctor she was, when she was holding on to Denny even though he was never coming back. That episode was one of Katherine Heigl’s best performances as Izzie, her re-emergence from the bathroom floor with Meredith and finally taking off her prom dress to reclaim her life back from the grief-stricken almost-bride-to-be she was.
Quick Comments- Mer’s best friend Sadie came back in this episode, weeks after rumors about Melissa George’s appearance on the TV Guide blogs hinted to fans that a bisexual doc would be coming on the show as a potential love interest for someone on the show. I, like Cristina, found this friendship to be pretty annoying, especially the “Death and Die” nicknames they had for each other. Cristina got a taste of what Derek’s life has been like when she was booted from the bed much like he always was when she came over.
- I definitely didn’t catch on to Dr. Dixon having Asperger’s Syndrome in this episode, but I was happy she didn’t like Seattle Grace. There are enough docs on this show with problems.
- I honestly, honestly thought Hunt was going to slap Cristina when they were in the alleyway. He scared me that much with his intensity. I could’ve be happy about the kiss they shared. As Erin said, “I'm not impressed by Owen's gruff moves and I was happy when Cristina walked away.” - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "These Ties That Bind" episode recap November 14, 2008
- Loved the “Little Grey” and “Big Grey” and “Little Sloan” vs “Big Sloan” rapport between Mer, Der, Sloan, and Mark.
- How STUPID are the interns and their “Secret Intern Society”? Someone’s going to get seriously hurt. Injecting IV’s on each other is beyond dangerous, I don’t care what reason they use to justify their practice.

No comments:
Post a Comment