Drama and water were the two things that ran rampant this episode of Grey’s.
Derek and Meredith
When will Derek ever understand that he is dating Meredith Grey? It seems like he’s constantly confusing her with someone else when he expects her to be on board with all of his spontaneous decisions. I was surprised at how easily he talked her into moving in together, but I was even more blown away by his demand (not a request, mind you, even though he’s living in her house) that Alex and Izzie move out. Derek was out of line before the episode even went past the 5 minute mark. Meredith is the kind of person who needs a large support system and she finds that comfort in her friends. Alex and Izzie are two of those friends and they’re also her roommates. Derek was either going to have to recognize that and deal with it or let this argument be another roadblock on the road to happiness. I was glad Mer stood up to him in the end and told Der they had to stay.
Cristina and Meredith
The awkward interaction between Mer and Cristina this entire episode was so appropriate for their relationship. Playing the role of the “supportive friend,” as Erin aptly named her in this week’s TVguide.com recap, is clearly a role Cristina is uncomfortable with when Meredith tries to talk to her about her issues with Derek. This episode demonstrated what I always found interesting about their friendship. No one quite understands them and why they’re so close, but that’s really the point; no one understands the other one like the other one does. No one, not even Derek, understands Mer like Cristina does and no one in that hospital is anywhere close to understanding Cristina like Meredith does. I enjoyed watching Cristina try and be supportive of Mer and Der, but she was clearly uncomfortable with the whole situation.
Mark and Lexie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Speaking of Mark, I still think he and Lexie make the next ideal couple. How sweet (and rare) was it to hear Mark give Lexie props for remembering that obscure article that led to a successful diagnosis of their patient? He's so into her that it tugs at my heart every time Lexie ignores those little love signs from him and instead turns to chase after George.” - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Here Comes The Flood" episode recap October 10, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too thought it was cute that Mark congratulated Lexie on her memory, but I don’t think it’s adoration. I think it was just his seeing that the girl clearly needs a confidence boost every day. She always looks so overwhelmed. I also have to disagree with the possibility of the two of them being in a relationship. We’re talking about Mark Sloan and Lexie Grey. Lexie can barely handle standing up for herself when it comes to dealing with her fellow interns and she can’t even talk to George without being a complete moron and batting her eyelashes. Mark’s definitely way out of her league. I see more of a tutor/student relationship between them in a purely professional way. Lexie just seems to be awkward with everyone she interacts with, George and Mark included.
The Chief's New Plans
The Chief’s speech about the changes happening to the hospital was as hard-hitting for me as it was for the interns to hear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“No more special favors for friends in the OR and no more getting emotionally involved with patients.” - Erin Lulevitch, TVGuide.com, "Here Comes The Flood" episode recap October 10, 2008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What show am I watching right now? Because it’s not Grey’s Anatomy. Here at Seattle Grace, we are all about nepotism and favoritism and falling in love with patients (see Grey's Anatomy, seasond one through four). Though watching the Chief put his foot down was entertaining, his new rules are bound to backfire with the staff he’s working with. Meredith getting emotionally involved with a patient of Izzie’s later in the episode was proof of this. And then the flood happened! This was the most random thing. It was as if there was a pool on the roof of Seattle Grace that no one knew about that suddenly broke and flooded through the hospital. I knew the Chief was going to be stubborn about moving the patients to Mercy because of the damage, but really, if you’re in the business of saving lives, trying to operate in a flooded OR is not the best way to go.
Quick Comments
- It’s about time George got his intern exam out of the way (for a second time). I was curious when Shonda was going to play this one out.
- The Callie and Erica relationship progressed some more in this episode, which means there was a lot of Mark this episode (yay McSteamy!). I don’t see the chemistry with these two. Neither are favorites of mine, but it brings a different element to the show.
Onto episode three!

No comments:
Post a Comment