I am a self-proclaimed addict to shows like Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Ugly Betty, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, CSI: Miami, Lost, Mad Men, Pushing Daises, and Grey's Anatomy and part of my world falls apart if I miss an episode during the week. One of the season premieres I was most excited about was Grey's Anatomy.
Grey's Anatomy - Season 4 cast
Source: TvGuide.com Gallery
Courtesy Bob D'Amico/ABC
The end of season 4, to me, represented a return to the formula that made me fall in love with the show in the first place. The finale of seasons one and two left me screaming profanities at my TV as I loudly exclaimed "WHAT am I going to DO until SEPTEMBER?!" Season three left me a little disappointed and season 4's finale made me cry tears of joy for a good half hour after the episode ended because Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd were finally reunited after far too many episodes of circling around each other.

Grey's Anatomy - Season 5 Premiere
"Here Comes the Flood" - Patrick Dempsey as Derek, Ellen Pompeo as Meredith
Source: TVGuide.com Gallery
courtesy Eric McCandless/ABC
I have always shipped, or supported, Mer and Der and FINALLY, creator and producer Shonda Rimes was giving me what I've been begging for since the end of season 1: a happy ending for my troubled couple. The bonus? It was amid a house of candles Meredith built on the plot of land Derek owns overlooking Seattle and quite possibly the most romantic moment they've ever had (or at least top 3). Meredith finally overcame her commitment and daddy issues to fully give her heart to Derek and the episode ended with him leaving to end his relationship with surgical nurse Rose who he had been dating to try and move on from Meredith.
Watching Derek walk away from Meredith was a truly scary moment. Rimes is known for over the top plots on Grey's and I was terrified that Derek was going to end up getting hit by a bus on his way to find Rose and never make it back to Meredith. Because I often think I'm the only one who reacts a certain way to every episode and I'm curious to know what other fans think of the show, I frequent the show blogs on tvguide.com and read their recaps. Erin Lulevitch is the staff blogger for Grey's and generally, she and I agree with the direction the episodes take and I don't feel like such a big dork, but there are times when I disagree and that's the fun part: the comments debate between her, myself, and other fans.
We'll see if Erin and I are on the same page this season.

No comments:
Post a Comment